Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Water Heater and Backyard Camping


On Friday Morning about 10 minutes after Sam left for work I was in the laundry room when Mia came in to tell me that she had gone pee pee on the floor. I thought it was a bit strange since I was pretty sure she had a diaper on. So, I asked her to show me where. I looked and noticed that there was a lot of pee and was a bit confused and then all of a sudden my entire foot was soaked. Well, that was not Mia's pee, it was a broken water heater leaking 40 gallons of water on our floor. Luckily my neighbor is very handy, so I called Lynda and she was over so quickly and with her tools. She drilled open the door and turned the water off so that all 40 gallons didn't quite get on the floor and then within about 1/2 hour there were 4 men from our church that showed up along with Lynda and her two sons to help remove the water heater and help with the clean up. After all of the excitement I thought to myself, "what an amazing thing, what if I had not belonged to this amazing church. What would I have done?" Sam then got a new water heater and it is installed, but the carpet is so stinky. Like a wet dog and a latrine mixed together. Luckily we have had abnormally high temperatures here- in the 100s. Yesterday it was 103. So, the carpet has dried mostly but definitely needs to be pulled out and replaced.

Another lucky thing is that our new tent arrived on the same day. The temperatures get nice and cool in the evening. So we  got out of our hot, stinky house and slept outside in our backyard on Friday and Saturday night. We all sleep really well in the tent, Lucy even sleeps through the night out there. The tent is a 7 man tent, so plenty of room and even a swinging door that makes it easier for the kids to get in and out of. Sam and I also have cots and we all have mats. I made fun of Sam for wanting cots and mats, but after waking up the first morning I thought, "wow, that was nice, I don't know if I could ever go back to sleeping on the ground." I love the new tent. It is like seeping in an outdoor bedroom with big windows and nice breeze. If you take the rain fly off then it is all netting on the roof, so you could see the stars. I am waiting for a nice clear night. Well, hopefully next week there will be some news on the replacement of the carpet in the hallway. Sam and I are both in agreement that although carpet might be cushy, it is also pretty nasty.






 

1 comment:

Laura F said...

I love that you're camping in the backyard! Looks so cool and comfortable - i've been tempted to get the tent out here a couple of times, but with justin gone I'd hate to unpack it and then not be able to set it up or pack it away again just right. Maybe this fall when you're here!