Sunday, May 04, 2008

Tired!, no, Exhausted! yes, Totally exhausted!

My Sister-in-law, Heidi (hopefully she doesn't mind me telling this story, because I think it is absolutely hilarious) gave birth to their third daughter a couple of weeks before Lucy joined our family. It's nice to have someone a little bit ahead so that I can kind of be prepared with what is ahead for me. ANyway, a few weeks ago she showed up at my parents house and my mom said to her, "Heidi, you are so lucky that a police officer didn't pull you over". Heidi was a bit confused and wondered why she would be pulled over. Then my mom pointed out that Heidi was still wearing little Elysse in the baby pack. She had driven the whole way with Elysse in her front pack and had not even noticed it. This story gave me a big laugh and then I thought, "Wow, Heidi must be exhausted".
The Cactus Needle
So, now it is a few weeks later and although I don't think my day yesterday topped Heidi's in manifestation of how tired I am, but certainly would be a runner up. Yesterday morning while Sam was taking his last final exam for the semester I went out to our yard barefoot to clip some roses when something stuck in my foot. I looked down and there was a GIANT cactus needle stuck in my foot (they are about an inch and 1/2 long and very sharp and strong). Sam had removed this giant cactus from our yard a couple of months ago (it was probably about 12 feet tall- who plants those in their yard anyway???!!!??!) as he was afraid it would fall and cause some serious damage. I knew that their were still some stray needles out there, but completely forgot to wear shoes. I could not remove that cactus needle out for the life of me. I searched the Internet for help (but apparently this is not a normal enough thing that there was no information on ridding your body of GIANT cactus needles, only the teeny tiny ones, I even looked on the Boy Scouts of America website, no such luck), I tried called the 24 hr nurse line (I guess the 24 hr nurse had stepped out to use the restroom). Finally Sam got home and was able to pull that sucker out.
The Oven
I had made lemon cupcakes to congratulate him for a semester well done. We had the cupcakes and left the house and the oven on too from 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM. Our house was sure toasty when we got home. No fire, phewwww!
The Bathroom
We ended up at a Walmart (a store we try not to set foot in too often, but it was actually an enjoyable experience, looking at toys, Mia rode a little bike around the whole store (which caused her not to try to pull everything off the shelves, good thinking Sam), we looked at camping gear, we looked at clothes and hats... Anyway, Mia had been sick with a stomach virus on Thursday night and Friday all day, we thought she was better on Saturday. It seemed she was not completely better when she had a diaper full of diarrhea and it was running down her leg (don't worry, we had already returned the bike to it's proper place by then). So, Mia and I walked all the way across the store to find that the women's bathroom was being cleaned and so we had to walk all the way back to the front of the store to go to the other bathroom. By this time her diarrhea was a bit dried to her leg and pretty nasty. So, we go in the bathroom and I put her up on the changing table taking my sweet old time. I put a paper towel under her even to make it feel more at home for her (and hygienic purposes). I start wiping her leg off and a little boy walks in and goes to a stall. I thought it was a bit strange that he was not followed by his mom. I thought, "Why doesn't he just go in the men's bathroom?" I continue chatting away with Mia about how nice it is for Daddy to be able to be with us and about her messy diaper, when I turn around and what do I see? Urinals! Big, huge, white urinals! Ahhhhhhh! "I'm in the men's bathroom!", I exclaim! The little boy peaks out from his stall and says, "Ya". "Oh my goodness I am in the men's bathroom", as I look at the urinals that look even bigger now. I start laughing hysterically and pack up my things and meet 2 men standing in the doorway (who knows how long they were there) with really confused looks on their faces, kind of looking at the mens sign on the door. I told them I was in the men's bathroom and they responded that they had been really confused. Oh! I had such a good laugh about that one as did Sam when I met him out in the car.
The Iron
I try to iron the girls' dresses for church on Saturday night, as we have church on Sunday morning at 9 AM. So, I ironed those dresses and then did some evening chores and then sat down to watch a movie when Sam asked me if I was done with the iron. "Yes, did I leave it on?" I am usually obsessive about turning off the iron (and the oven, believe it or not). I swear I had turned that iron off. Again, no fire, phewwww! Do I have to even mention that I fell asleep in the middle of the movie? (although that IS normal behavior, the rest is not) So, now it is Sunday morning and Mia, Lucy and I are at home. My tummy kind of hurt and my head feels cloudy. I don't know if I am actually sick, but I think I need the rest anyway. Who knows what could happen if I went out in public again as tired as I am. So, Heidi, I am following in your tired footsteps. I am so glad that Sam will have the next week off from school, it's so nice to have him home.

2 comments:

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

Erica, do you remember me telling you that people who have one or two children are like those who go to the pool and play around in the shallow end. When you have 3+ you have dived in to the deep end and are treading water! Welcome to that "I'm exhausted feeling" that doesn't ever go away. By the time the kids are gone, the ability to just get a good night's sleep is totally forgotten. I'm still waiting to re-learn it!!

Laura F said...

Don't think that... we sleep really well these days. Maybe not for long, but our entire house is getting 8 hours almost always right now. :-)

I love the story about you in the men's room, and how the urinals looked BIGGER when you realized where you were. Too funny, but I would have thought the same, probably. I just wouldn't have remembered to write it! It's probably good you were in there talking, so the men coming in knew you were there. Can you imagine if they hadn't seen you or something?