Friday, May 21, 2010

A Good Night

Being a mom is my saving grace. While in the midst of writing the last post earlier this evening I was not quite sure what I was going to do with myself for the evening. After the last post the girls came to me to tell me that the movie The Littles was over. They all finished up their bedtime routines and then I watched a couple of episodes of the Pink Panther with them. I decided to do my best to live in the moment with them and found myself laughing at the Pink Panther (there has been a shortage of laughter from me lately). Lucy sat on my lap and then Mia sat on my lap. And I had Leila near by. And there is baby sister (Eleanor?) in my tummy. I felt gratitude- pure gratitude. Then when Mia said our family prayers in her four year old sweet way she randomly thanked Heavenly Father for Thanksgiving and for mom on Mother's Day. That was a blessing sent from heaven.

After the kids were in bed I tidied up the living room a bit and decided to take out some framed family pictures and decorate the Living Room a bit with them. Again, as I did this I felt pure gratitude for our home and for the life that I have been able to live as I pulled out a clock given to me from a sister when I was a missionary in Brasil and I pulled out some items from Taiwan, a picture of Sam and I on our wedding day, our wedding announcement and a dongshi from China that someone had given Sam when he did his study abroad in China, a picture of my mom and I and Spot in England. I just felt like my life kind of came together a little bit more as I pulled stuff out of the box and decorated our home with it. I have been blessed.

4 comments:

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

Great Post. Thanks.

Swenson Family said...

That's actually funny that you read this and said that it was a great post. I keep another blog that only I read- it's actually my journal and this entry was meant to be in that one, I must have accidently posted it here instead, and so I was surprised to see a comment on it. Well, if you liked it then maybe I'll keep it here and also get it in my journal too.

Laura F said...

I liked it, too, and for what it's worth, I love the name Eleanor. :-) Audrey prayed this afternoon at dinner that all her family would have lots of love for her. I love four year old prayers!

The Burgoynes said...

I love it. Keep those (private) journal entries coming! You inspire me with your ability to really live in the moment. I'm trying, but sometimes it's hard!