I have been having a very strong internal battle with myself lately. What I really want is to be home. To be available. I want to have a clean and organized home, filled with love and I, for the most part have been enjoying doing what it takes to do that, and if not at the moment I always enjoy the nice rewards that come afterward. It is hard to not overschedule ourselves when there really are so many great options of good things to do out there. But when I really think about what I want for my family right now it is to not be so busy that I don't have time to go for bikerides with the kids, which is what they really are asking for. Right now I find myself saying "no" to bikerides all too often because we are too "busy", "we have too many other things we need to get done today." So, this article that a friend sent to me has in essence "given me permission" to do what my inner self has been telling me to do and slooooooooooow down. One of my favorite afterschool memories growing up was to come home to some freshly baked homemade cookies. This was years ago and I can still picture in my mind what those cookies looked like and smell how the house smelled. I want to be able to slow down enough to make those cookies with my kids too. I think those moments of comfort and security given to a child freely is what makes the world go 'round. Well, I better get to bed, I have an important day ahead of me and my children deserve a well rested mother.

2 comments:
Erica, I LOVE this article. SO MUCH wisdom. I'd love to have a copy (real or hard version) sometime. Maybe Sam could make me a copy at work?
I love this post. I've always admired how good you are at listening to what your inner voice (does that make sense?) is telling you, and acting on it. I try to pay attention to that voice, too, which usually warns me when I need to slow down... (or speed up.... sometimes I can overdo it in the reflection department!) It's easy for me to get really caught up in wanting to get through my list, to constantly be accomplishing something. But isn't the purpose of this life to become someone, rather than to do a bunch of somethings? Relationships are the real meat of life, I think. And I love how very in the moment you are with your girls. I can't imagine them ever doubting that they and Sam are your top priorities.
I rambled. But I think there was a thought in there somewhere. ;)
Post a Comment