It's hard to believe that we are starting our fourth week of school already. Sending Leila has invoked a lot of emotions. All Summer I was filled with anticipation for Leila to start school because I knew she would thrive in a school setting, but then the evening before the first day I was so anxious (the same kind of anxious before entering the missionary training center. It is a new step and there is no turning back).
Day One
We got to school and I had to hide the tears that slid down my cheeks as we put Leila's back pack on the bench and found her teddy bear necklace name tag and her teacher. Then all of us parents huddled outside the gate taking pictures and videos of our lovely children on their first day. Of course there were a few crying/screaming children too that pulled on my heart strings.
Day Two
Leila tells me that she hasn't been playing with the kids on the playground because she is scared of the games they are playing (pirates and the like). That night I find myself crying my eyes out and questioning my decision in choice of school, whether Leila is emotionally ready for school, whether I should have homeschooled instead... all because she had not yet made a friend at school. She was always happy, but hadn't made a friend yet. I have always been around to help in that realm and now she is all on her own and I feel quite helpless. After a nice conversation and some guidance from my mom I am feeling a bit better and decide we will try day three.
Day Three
I pick Leila up and she is bursting with happiness as she tells me that she made a friend. She is in a very good mood all afternoon and so am I! Yeah!
Skipping to tonight
It is an amazing thing seeing what your child is capable of. I love taking Leila to school and I especially love picking her up from school and hearing about her version of the day. I love seeing how excited Mia and Leila are to see each other. I love watching Leila eat her lunch with the other kids in the cafeteria. I love that in her classroom hangs self portraits of the students and Leila's is the only one with yellow string for hair, and that Leila does not even notice. I love that her teacher is so organized and focused. I love that I got to see Leila hold the American flag as they said the Pledge of Allegiance. I love that this school is a thriving wonderful school against all odds as there are lots of ESL students and economically challenged families. I love that there were both mothers and fathers at the first PTA meeting. I love that I have more time to spend with Mia and Lucy. I love my Leila. This kindergarten thing is a pretty good thing if you ask us.
3 comments:
I want to hear all about school from Leila. We need to plan an evening when we can video chat on the computer, okay?!
By the way, I love this blog!
Wow! You have one in kindergarden!!!! What happened! It seems like yesterday we where hanging out at the beach and your parents house in Haleiwa! Time flies! Cherish your time with your beautiful girls!!!! We need to catch up!
I got a little teary-eyed reading about you taking Leila to school. Perhaps it's just pregnancy, but I've felt some of those same emotions with Ryan growing up lately. It's wonderful that they do, but hard to take as a mom. You have a beautiful family! I love those "yellow-string-haired-kids".
Post a Comment